The city of Esmeraldas is the capital of the "Verde Esmeraldas Province". The city of Esmeraldas has an important maritime port and a small beach (within the city).
The city of Esmeraldas has 130,000 and the canton 180,000 inhabitants.
The port of Esmeraldas is important for the northern part of Ecuador. Here mainly wood and chips are exported. Bananas and other agricultural products are also exported. The port of Balao is the oil port of Ecuador.
The beach in the city of Esmeraldas is also pretty and has culinary and nightlife on weekends.
in Atacames we recommend:
Sun Palace Hotel
ATACAMES, lado sur
URBANIZACION NUEVA GRANADA
CALLE PRIMERA, frente a la playa
Teléfono: +593 - (0)3 - 2810954 / -(0)9 - 6106962
Other destinies, cities y sites
OTHER INTERESTING SITES
- The famous beaches of Atacames, Súa, Tonsupa, Same and Tonchigue are found by bus 45 minutes from Esmeraldas.
- Muisne beach is not as famous as the Atacames or Súa beaches, but it is much calmer. From Esmeraldas it takes an hour and a half by bus, passing through Atacames. Muisne is on an island, you have to use a boat to get there. In Muisne there are no cars: the taxis are rickshaws.
- San Lorenzo is 5 hours away by bus from Quito (passing through Ibarra), the same time is needed from Esmeraldas. The port of San Lorenzo is the point of shipment to Tumaco in Colombia. The Ibarra - San Lorenzo highway is new and in good condition.
- The town of Cauchal is located on an island inside the Mangrove Swamp in the Cayapas Mataje Mangrove Ecological Reserve. Cauchal beach is beautiful and lonely. By boat (small boat) it takes an hour and a half from San Lorenzo.
- Valdez o más conocido como Limones es la capital del cantón Eloy Alfaro. Liomones queda en una isla dentro del manglar en el norte de Borbón. Se puede llegar a Limones con lancha desde Borbón o desde San Lorenzo.
- El cantón Río Verde queda en el norte de Esmeraldas a una distancia de dos horas con bus desde Esmeraldas.
- Quinindé (o también Rosa Zárate) queda en el sur de Esmeraldas, en la mitad entre Santo Domingo y Esmeraldas.
- Las Peñas beach is not as famous as the Atacames or Súa beaches, but it is much quieter and cheaper. From Esmeraldas it takes two and a half hours by bus, passing through San Mateo, Camarones and Río Verde. From San Lorenzo it takes two and a half hours by bus, going through Borbón.
- Beyond Las Peñas is La Tola, a small town, from where you can embark to visit La Tolita Island, famous for its Archaeological Park.
- Borbón is one hour by bus from San Lorenzo and 3 hours by bus from Esmeraldas.
- The Playa de Oro community is located on the Santiago River an hour and a half by canoe from Maldonado.
- The Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve is accessible from the city of Cayambe. The Reserve has a surface area of 403,103 ha including the Navado Cayambe.
- The Cotacachi Cayapas Ecological Reserve is accessible from the city of Cotacachi. The Reserve has a surface area of 204,420 ha.