Other destinies, cities y sites
San Francisco de Quito is the Capital of the Republic, and the Capital of the Pichincha Province.
The city of Quito has more than 1,700,000 inhabitants.
San Francisco de Quito was founded by Diego de Almagro on August 28, 1534.
Each year its major festivals are commemorated on December 6, the date on which Sebastián de Benalcázar brought the founding act to its current location.
The Battle of Pichincha was fought on May 24, 1822 and on June 25, 1824 the Province of Pichincha was created.
Also known as "Reliquary of Art in America". The Historic Center of Quito is a Cultural Heritage of Humanity and has several attractions.
- The town with the same name of the snowy. It is located by bus an hour and a half from Quito.
- The Botanical Garden Quito has different greenhouses and is located in the Carolina Park, Rumipamba and Los Shyris Avenue, next to the Ecuadorian Mueseo of Natural Sciences.
- In Guayllabamba there is the Quito Zoo. It is located by bus an hour and a half from Quito.
- Mindo is a small town hidden in nature, ideal for nature holidays.
- Santo Domingo de los Colorados has different attractions and is now Capital of the province with the same name. It is named after the Tsáchila indigenous custom of painting their hair.
- Sangolquí is a small village part of the Rumiñahui canton.
- Here on the Equator the Midad del Mundo tourist center offers you different attractions. He meets an inter-parish bus half an hour from Quito.
- Papallacta's hot baths allow you to relax comfortably. With an inter-provincial bus (to Lago Agrio) an hour and a half from Quito.
- A famous town: it is worth visiting not only at its Virgen del Quinche festival on November 21.
- The canton of Rumiñahui with its beautiful atmosphere is located by bus one hour in the east of Quito.
- There are different museums: archaeological, contemporary art, anthropological, wax, colonial, historical art, etc.
- Baños is famous for its hot water baths, its special climate, the Tungurahua, the waterfalls and its Hotels, Restaurants and Bars. (2.5 hours from Quito with buses to Baños or Puyo)
- A trip with the Railroad is unforgettable. It still works between some places.
- Here is information about the different arts and events.
The Cathedral at Plaza de la Independencia